The Dangerous Facts about Tooth Decay
It’s a fact: neglecting proper dental care can lead to serious health issues. Recent studies have found that poor dental care is strongly correlated to the state of your overall health. Individuals suffering from tooth decay and other oral diseases are at an increased risk for developing lung or heart disease and diabetes. Unfortunately, more than 90 percent of adults will experience at least one incident of tooth decay in their lives. That means that the dental health of most Americans is in poor shape. You can defy the statistics and be a catalyst for change by using these cavity prevention tips to ensure that you do not become a victim of tooth decay.
- Brush twice daily with an ADA-approved toothpaste with fluoride. For even better dental care, you should brush after every snack and meal.
- Rinse with a fluoride mouthwash after brushing for further cavity prevention.
- Floss at least once daily to remove food trapped between teeth.
- Eat tooth-healthy foods such as cheese, yogurt, and fresh fruits and vegetables, which are nutritious foods that help with cavity prevention.
- Avoid sugar-filled and starch-heavy foods, which lead to the development of damaging acids that cause erosion of the tooth enamel.
- Chew sugarless gum with xylitol to fight the harmful bacteria in your mouth.
- Drink a lot of water. Drinking plenty of water rinses away food debris from the teeth. It also promotes saliva production, which further protects teeth and gums.
- Choose tap water over bottled water. Fluoride has been added to most public water supplies to remineralize teeth and help with cavity prevention. Aside from containing no fluoride, studies have found that bottled water contains dangerous chemicals.
- Ask your dentist about fluoride treatments to help with cavity prevention.
- Consider protective sealants, which your family dentistry practitioner can apply over grooves where food and debris can easily get trapped. Sealants can last ten years and offer additional protection against tooth decay.
- Make twice-yearly dental visits a priority. See a skilled, affordable dentist in Quail Meadows at least twice a year—or more, if recommended—for optimal dental care.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Quail Meadows, call Advanced Dental Care of Quail Meadows today at (352) 533-4159 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Quail Meadows. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Quail Meadows, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Quail Meadows.