10 Reasons to Have Your Wisdom Teeth Extracted
Wisdom teeth sometimes arrive without incident, but for many people, they bring potential complications, especially if they are impacted and cannot break through gum tissue. Pain may be the first symptom that comes to mind when you think of wisdom teeth making their debut, but many complications can develop slowly and silently. By the time obvious symptoms and signs appear, significant damage has occurred. The list of potential complications below presents ten good reasons to find an affordable dentist and have wisdom teeth extractions before they can affect your health.
- Pain is the most common complaint associated with wisdom teeth. You may feel pain or soreness in your jaw, ear, throat, or side of your face as well as the site of the wisdom tooth. Pain often indicates the presence of infection.
- Bacteria associated with infected wisdom teeth may spread throughout the body and affect organ systems and overall health; this is especially dangerous for people with weakened immune systems.
- Partially erupted wisdom teeth are difficult to clean properly. A buildup of food particles and dental plaque can cause gum infection around the tooth. If left untreated, destruction of bone may follow.
- When they don’t have enough room to emerge, wisdom teeth are often trapped inside soft tissue or bone; this is called impaction. Impacted teeth can occur in the upper or lower jaw and are usually treated with wisdom teeth extractions.
- Pressure from an impacted wisdom tooth can cause tooth shifting and damage to adjacent teeth.
- Jaw cysts are usually associated with the crown of an impacted wisdom tooth. Untreated, a cyst can destroy the bone around it.
- Wisdom teeth are subject to decay because of their position in the mouth; the presence of infected wisdom teeth may also contribute to the decay of surrounding teeth.
- Pericoronitis is a specific type of infection associated with the flap of gum tissue that covers an erupting wisdom tooth. Signs include swelling and pain when biting down onto inflamed tissue.
- Wisdom teeth can weaken the structural integrity of the jaw, which may result in an increased risk of jaw fracture.
- If a wisdom tooth erupts in an awkward position, it can interfere with the normal bite, and place undue stress on the jaw’s joints and muscles.
Wisdom tooth extractions both prevent and treat all of these potential complications. Contact your dentist to schedule an evaluation of your wisdom teeth before they affect your health and well-being.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Quail Meadows, call Advanced Dental Care of Quail Meadows today at (352) 533-4159 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Quail Meadows. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Quail Meadows, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Quail Meadows.